|Haier opens assembly plant in Amman|
Chinese appliances manufacturer Haier officially opened a 50,000-square-metre assembly plant in Amman. The plant's output will meet the increasing demand in the Middle East and Africa besides raising the volume of exports to the European Union and the United States. During an opening ceremony held under the patronage of His Majesty King Abdullah, Haier Group and its local partner, Southern Electronics Company, indicated that the plant's primary objective is to service the Kingdom, Iraq, Kuwait, Sudan, Egypt, Lebanon.
Haier owns 28 per cent of the project while Jordanians hold the remaining 72 percent." The plant can produce up to 1.3 million units per year. Sales are expected to top $75 million, 70 per cent of which come from exports," indicated Haier Middle East CEO Darwish Khalili. A research and development department will develop appliances customised for the region's needs, he remarked. "We explored a large number of opportunities available in Jordan and other Middle East countries to ensure the successful creation of a regional hub operation...," Khalili told the press. "For exports, the plant will capitalise on agreements Jordan has signed with other countries including the Arab Free Trade Area, Jordan-US Free Trade Area and Jordan's partnership with the EU," he said. Haier Group CEO Zhang Ruimin described the project as "highly important both in terms of its strategic positioning and the accessibility it affords."
By acting as a central hub, the plant will easily transport a wide range of products across the Middle East to meet current and future demand, Ruimin said. The new plant is already producing different sizes of refrigerators, washing machines, televisions and other appliances. The factory is currently employing 850 Jordanian workers and engineers. The number is expected to reach 1,100 when more production lines will be added.